Planning a Cross-Country Move During Covid-19: aka How I Became a Covid Nomad


living room photo pre covid-19 move
An un-varnished look at what "move minus three" days looks like. 

I started 2020 with 3 resolutions. Let's take a look at home I'm doing. I resolved to: 

Work from home more
Well, that's certainly happening, not just for me but for the entire world. But I did land a job that's 100% remote anyway, yay me. Check that one off the list. 

Travel less
Mixed bag here. I certainly traveled less than usual the first half of the year, but I think I'm making up for it starting in August.

Move back to San Francisco 
This last resolution is how we ended up where we are. A few months ago, J accepted an offer for a job that's based in downtown SF. When he accepted, we thought stay-at-home might end some time in the summer, maybe fall, and that we'd have to be back in SF by September or October. As return to office kept getting pushed off, we decided to take this opportunity to do something we've always wanted to do: drive cross-country, but with a few twists. Instead of driving every day, the plan is to make about seven stops between DC and SF, stopping in each city for anywhere from a week to a month. That will let us work on the weekdays and keep the driving and sightseeing for the weekends. 

This will be 3+ month experiment of a hybrid remote work/digital nomad life. He says we're homeless; I've re-termed this lifestyle "Covid Nomads." Either way, having friends read along will help keep us sane as we cross the country. Thanks for following! 

First Stop: Pittsburgh, PA

Comments